Terengganu’s state health director, Datuk Dr Kasemani Embong, said 74 people have died as a result of COVID-19 in the last two weeks within the state.
She expressed concern about the disturbing upward trend, citing eight fatalities on November 18, nine on November 15 and 17, and the highest number of 12 on November 20.
“The increase in fatalities may be due to several factors such as delay in seeking treatment, patients with comorbidities (more than two), not vaccinated yet, and patients aged over 50.
“Comorbidities such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity and high blood pressure increase the risk of getting infected and having serious symptoms," she told Bernama.
Since the pandemic started early last year, Kuala Terengganu has reported the greatest death toll of 118, followed by Besut (105), Kemaman (92), Dungun (91), Marang (54), Kuala Nerus (52), Setiu (27) and Hulu Terengganu (19).
As of yesterday, Terengganu’s total death toll stood at 558.
Throughout the state, 4,297 active cases have been reported, raising the cumulative total to 75,051.