Impending Covid Surge In Selangor As ICU Hospital Bed Occupancy Hits 80%

source – SCMP

Selangor's intensive care units (ICUs) are overwhelmed, reaching 80% occupancy, as the state health department prepares for an impending covid surge in the upcoming weeks.


Impending Covid Surge In Selangor As ICU Hospital Bed Occupancy Hits 80%

As Selangor's intensive care units (ICUs) become overwhelmed, the state health department has started preparing its hospitals and facilities to accept more Covid-19 patients.

Dr Sha'ari Ngadiman, Selangor's Health Director, revealed some alarming facts in a statement today.

80% of ICU beds were occupied at public hospitals throughout the state. This equates to 203 fully occupied beds.

42% (86 beds) of this total were Covid-19 patients. The remaining 58% (117 beds) were non-Covid patients.

Meanwhile, 96% of ICU beds were occupied at full Covid-19 facility Hospital Sungai Buloh. This equated to 54 ICU beds being occupied.

“As for the rise in Covid-19 cases in the Hospital Sungai Buloh ICU, this is only because this is a full Covid-19 hospital and a referral hospital for all hospitals not only in Selangor but also in the Klang Valley.

“Therefore, the Hospital Sungai Buloh ICU also receives Covid-19 cases from other hospitals so that their ICUs can be used to accommodate more non-Covid cases,” he explained.

Sha'ari said that 92% of Selangor's 1,286 non-critical beds are now occupied.

His response came after a doctor from Hospital Sungai Buloh cautioned the public about an imminent Covid-19 surge in December.

The doctor said in a widely circulated tweet that his hospital's standard and intensive care units were overwhelmed with Category 4 and 5 patients.

Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah, director-general of health, warned the public last week to “early signs" that cases may surge again.

Sha'ari stated that as of Nov 17, Selangor's Covid-19 R-naught number (reproduction number) has increased to 1.05.

A value greater than 1.00 indicates that the pandemic is escalating.

“In the past two weeks, the number of daily new cases in Selangor have been between 1,300 to 1,500 cases.

“Of which 1.5 to two% are cases in Category 3, Category 4 and Category 5,” he said.

source - harian metro

“As a precautionary measure for a situation where there is a rise in Covid-19 cases that need to be admitted into Hospital Sungai Buloh, we have improved the oxygen gas system at the National Leprosy Control Centre to accommodate Covid-19 cases. Which will also help reduce the burden on Hospital Sungai Buloh.

“Hospital Sungai Buloh will also be supported by other hospitals in the Klang Valley if there is a need, this will help meet needs for Covid-19 admission into hospitals or ICU,” Sha’ari added.

Covid-19 individuals with severe symptoms and lung infection are classified as category 3.

Category 4 refers to Covid-19 patients with lung infection who require oxygen support.

Category 5 refers to Covid-19 patients with multiple organ failure who require ventilator support.

Total
0
Shares
Previous Post

Penang To Engage More Private Facilities To Administer Vaccine Booster Doses

Next Post

Foreign Nationals Who Violate Covid-19 SOPs Risk Deportation And Blacklisting Says Immigration Department

Related Posts
Total
0
Share